One of the Most joyful & Traditional Family Celebrations is the cutting of The Vasilopita on New Year's Day!
This Beautiful Gold Coin with the image of St. Basil The Great was designed by Father George expressly for the purpose of this wonderful occasion.
Each Coin is embedded in an impressive display and packed in a brilliant Lucite Presentation Case, along with a description and the concise history of The Vasilopita Story as well as our Favorite Vasilopita Recipe!
- 1 cup butter
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup almonds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 bag of whole blanched almonds
- Cream butter and sugar for 10 minutes, add egg yolks and flavorings.
- Add remaining ingredients, except egg whites.
- Beat egg whites until stiff in a separate bowl.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Blend well.
- Grease baking pan (round 14” pan).
- Pour in batter and tuck coin (thinly wrapped in Aluminum Foil) into batter,
then hand lay whole blanched almonds around the perimeter of the surface.
(You can also spell out the current year in the middle of the cake)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.